Windows Server Metrics to KloudMate
This document provides a guide on how to collect metrics from a Windows Server and ingest them into KloudMate using OpenTelemetry.
In the described setup, the Prometheus receiver plugin is used, which enables you to gather metrics through scraping and sends them to a KloudMate HTTP endpoint.
Step 1: Prerequisites:
- Install Prometheus Windows Exporter on the Windows server so it can collect entire server metrics and redirect to OpenTelemetry.
- Download and install the latest .msi file on the Windows server.
Step 2: Install the Open Telemetry Collector on Windows Server
1. Download the OpenTemetry Collector for Windows:
- Go to the official OpenTelemetry website
- Choose the correct version of the Open Telemetry Collector for Windows
- Download the Windows installer executable.
2. Run the installer:
- Locate the downloaded installer executable
- Right-click on the installer file and select "Run as administrator."
- Follow the installation wizard's instructions to complete the installation.
Step 3: Create an OpenTelemetry Configuration YAML File
- Create a YAML configuration file using a text editor like Notepad.
- Customize the configuration file based on your requirements.
Sample YAML file:
Step 4: Run the following command in the command prompt or PowerShell to generate the telemetry data from where otelcol.exe is downloaded. Mention the correct path to the yaml file.
Now you can see metrics in the Kloudmate dashboard.