Managing Dashboards and Panels
A custom metric dashboard can contain multiple panels, containing multiple custom metrics. Users can manage, organize, or group their dashboards in a way that makes sense to them.
Users can view a list of already configured metric dashboards on the main screen of the metric dashboards section.
- They can search for a dashboard by name using the search bar on the top left corner of the screen.
- They can also switch the viewing option from dashboards to folders using the toggle option located in the top right corner of the list.
A user has the following permissions to custom dashboards according to their assigned role:
- Owner: Can create, edit, or delete a dashboard. Can edit or delete a folder.
- Developer: Can create, edit, or delete a dashboard. Can edit or delete a folder.
- Viewer: Can only view the dashboards and folders.
The dashboard settings screen enables users to:
- Edit or delete dashboards
- Add a dashboard to a folder
To navigate to the dashboard settings screen:
- Click on the more options icon in front of the dashboard you want to edit.
- Click on Edit.
- Click on the Settings icon located in the top right corner.
- Navigate to the dashboard settings screen and click on the General tab.
- Provide a relevant name and description for your dashboard.
- Add tags.
- Click on the Save button.
- Click on the delete dashboard button.
You can add and manage variables in your dashboards. Variables are the placeholders for values. You can add variables and use them directly in your queries. Variables will help you create dynamic dashboards by avoiding hard-coding any specific values within queries. Note that variables work only for AWS native integrations.
Use the following steps to add a variable in your dashboard:
- Navigate to the dashboard settings screen and click on the Variables tab
- Enter a name for the variable, select the appropriate variable type
- Select the query type where you will be using the variable and then click on the Save button
- Once the variable has been added, you can use it by selecting the created variable in the panel query box and saving the new query.
Users can create a folder to group or organize dashboard(s) that are related to each other.
Note: Creating a folder is not mandatory for creating dashboards. Standalone dashboards don't need to be added to a folder.
- Click on the Create Folder button in the main Dashboard screen.
- Provide a relevant name and description for your folder and click on the Create button.
- Navigate to the dashboard settings screen of the dashboard that you want to add to the folder.
- Select the folder you created from the Folder dropdown menu.
- Click on the Save button.
- Users can view and resize panels using the expand icon at the bottom right corner of the panels.
- Users with 'Owner' and 'Developer' level permissions can edit, duplicate or delete panels from dashboards.